Title: General Manager
Sector: Dry Bulk Ports & Logistics
Location: Freetown, Sierra Leone
Position Type: Full Time/Permanent
Reporting To: Group Head Office
- Effective management of the NSBT Terminal in Freetown in line with responsibilities as set out under the concession agreement with the Sierra Leone Port Authorities and in accordance with the strategic objectives of Nectar Group.
Areas of Responsibility
- Provide strategic vision and advice to the Board of Directors so that they will have accurate view of the current situation, and future potential
- Build, prepare, agree and implement comprehensive business strategies and plans to facilitate advancing the companies sustainability and growth by planning cost-effective investment, business model, market development, and exploitation of opportunities
- Effectively communicate with all stakeholders, engaging and maintaining relationships with authorities, shareholders, clients and staff
- Provide active management and engagement, assess performance and ensure that NSBT delivers its responsibilities as set out within the concession agreement, and operates in accordance with the groups policies, procedures and reporting requirements
- Establish an efficient and effective organisation, lead the team, delegate responsibilities, and manage the results through providing clear responsibilities, targets, motivation and guidance to drive maximum performance and support the resolution of problems
- Oversee the companies investments, financial and operational performance developing a sustainable and profitable business. Analyse problematic situations and occurrences providing solutions to ensure the companies sustainability, profitability and growth
- Ability to think laterally and apply management knowledge in practical terms
- Ability to be pro-active with regular updates and reports to Head Office
- Ability to build relationships both owners, directors and the Group
- A thorough understanding of industry standard safety regulations
- Good command of the English language in speaking and writing
- Solid leadership, motivation and interpersonal skills, and the ability to manage projects that will include working with individuals with varying disciplines, backgrounds and experience levels
- Excellent communication skills at all levels
- A good understanding and application of cultural sensitivity
- Computer literate and able to use standard software such as MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint
Qualifications & Experience
- Previous professional experience based in Africa is desired but not essential
- Minimum 5 years previous experience in similar capacity as a terminal manager
- Higher education and formal qualification to BSc degree standard in shipping, transport, management related discipline is preferred but not essential if relevant experience
- Experience in H&S related disciplines/standards and their use in practice
- Knowledge of bulk and breakbulk cargo handling equipment and methods
- Knowledge of terminal management systems particularly for bulk and breakbulk terminals
- Excellent communication skills are vital.
- Driven, Dynamic and enthusiastic.
- Organised and accurate with good attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and able to work to strict deadlines in a fast paced, customer focused environment.
- A pro-active problem solver.
- Effective personal time management skills and the ability to priorities tasks.
- Good interpersonal skills and a genuine team player.
We seek to be an ethical & progressive employer which encourages a culture of openness, creativity & continuous professional development which rewards the effectiveness & loyalty of employees
Please send your CV to HR@nectar.co.uk to apply