Nectar Group employees come from a variety of backgrounds within the transport, logistics and engineering sectors. This broad experience gives Nectar a unique range of skills and a strong foundation on which to develop sound and workable solutions to a wide range of problems.
Nectar operates a 5 million tonne per annum coal export terminal in Beira, Mozambique and recently identified a need for maintenance on both ship loaders due to excessive wear and tear in the chute and damage to the spout as a result of extraordinary weather conditions over the last 3 years. The team at Nectar Coal Mozambique Ltda. decided it would be an ideal time to upgrade the ship loaders after handling approximately 28 million tonnes of coal over the last 10 years of operation.
After an extensive internal assessment, it became apparent that it was more cost efficient to fabricate a complete unit, vs carrying out repairs, by utilising the engineering experience of the professional team on site. Conducting the works in-house gave the team the opportunity to make modifications that would make the chutes more dynamic and increasing the overall efficiency of the equipment.
All materials were ordered from our supplier in South Africa for both ship loaders and modifications were made with tweaks in the design to improve its delivery. Modification works completed as below –
- Modified the diverter from a vertical life up/down to a flap system, preventing any possible blockage.
- Lined the inside of the chute with Matrox plastic as wear plates, extending the life of the chute and preventing potential build-up of material.
- Repositioned the spout under the chute so the flow of material did not pour against the outer sides of the spout and cause avoidable wear (and/or damage)
- Modified the wire rope winding mechanism on the spout, increasing the longevity of the wire rope and preventing possible seizing of the mechanism.
- Fabricated a diverter plate installed inside the chute to allow the pouring of the coal centrally to the spout arrangement.
Nectar expertise can improve productivity, reduce down-time and minimise expense on asset management. For details on our terminal consultancy services, visit Consultancy – Nectar Group